Monday, September 12, 2011

Abstract Painting - Final Stage


"He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."
- Saint Francis of Assisi

Abstract 0911, 34" x 48", oil on panel, 2011.

Following up on the previous post on this subject, this is the abstract painting in its final stage. Finishing touches still remain. And even though I refer to it as the final stage, the stage is unique because it may take some time just sitting there against the wall in my studio. It may be that, as I've removed my focus from it, the painting will live with me for days or weeks and let me know whether it is done or needs some more work. Sometimes a painting will reveal its needs in a week which may lead to an overhaul; other times a week is enough time to understand that there is nothing else I can do to add to it. There is never a specific formula, and each artwork is different in this regard.

I will keep you updated on what happens with this one...

1 comment:

  1. The update is this: over the subsequent 10 months living with the painting in my studio, we turned against each other and could not work things out. No kidding. The painting was destroyed.

    ReplyDelete