Friday, July 6, 2012

New Work, and the Kandinsky Observation


Metamorphosis, 25" x 40", oil on canvas, 2012.

The great Wassily Kandinsky once stated: "The true work of art is born from the 'artist': a mysterious, enigmatic, and mystical creation. It detaches itself from him, it acquires an autonomous life, becomes a personality, an independent subject, animated with a spiritual breath, the living subject of a real existence of being."

Kandinsky's convictions are most easily demonstrated when visiting museums - certain works of art seem to be human and radiate immortality. These are the timeless pieces that have transcended subjective appeal, becoming globally accepted as great works of art over the decades and centuries.
 
Over the past decade of art making, I have felt that my own creations have detached themselves from me and taken on their own lives and personalities. I operate like I am a portal and allow the work to be completed through me, taking on its own form and making its own conclusions, even if I begin the painting with a vision of what I think the end product should be.  But rather than the Heavenly "mysterious, enigmatic, and mystical creations ... animated with a spiritual breath", perhaps my creations can be better described as little monsters, rejects, or riffraffs.

It fulfills the creative drive nevertheless.

Metamorphosis (detail):

Metamorphosis (detail):

Thank you for reading about the paintings, sculptures, drawings, works in progress, reviews, Doodle of the Day, and other art by Los Angeles artist Lucas Aardvark Novak. To see older blog posts and other doodles, click HERE :)

No comments:

Post a Comment